Friday, April 15, 2011

Disney Channel’s ‘Lemonade Mouth’ Star Hayley Kiyoko Likens Touring With Bieber To The Beatles


Touring with Justin Bieber is akin to traveling with the Beatles, says Hayley Kiyoko, who, with her band, the Stunners, tagged along with the megastar on his last tour.


“It’s pretty much everything you see in the news,” she says. “It’s madness. It’s like the Beatles all over again.”


Kiyoko, who stars in the Disney Channel‘s movie “Lemonade Mouth,” recalls a stop in Omaha when people were running in the street alongside their tour bus.


“It was really cool to be part of it,” she says, “and to also be able to step back and observe it. I had no idea what it was like until I lived through it.”


Kiyoko isn’t an unknown, either. She played Velma in the Cartoon Network‘s “Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins,” and she’s been a regular on Disney‘s “The Wizards of Waverly Place.” Now, she’s part of “Lemonade Mouth,” a new film based on the book of the same name about five teenagers who are changed when their music teacher challenges them to pursue their musical passions.


The main ensemble also stars Bridgit Mendler, Adam Hicks, Naomi Scott and Blake Michael.


“For me, I’m all about new experiences,” she says. “It’s something I’ve never done before. I’ve never done a movie that involved music.”


She admits she was concerned that “Lemonade Mouth” not be cheesy because of the music part, but she credits the director with making the musical aspects of the show feel organic.


Music is key for Kiyoko. She was accepted into the Clive Davis School of Recorded Music at NYU, where she intended to study music – and some business – but she’s had to set aside her studies to follow the entertainment dream.


“I’ve always lived my life that I cross that bridge when I come to it,” she says. “I promised myself at a young age, and things were coming at me and I was booking it – I would take things and run as long and as fast as I can. If you’re passionate about something, you’ll find time to do it. College is always there.”


Two years ago, she had no idea she’d be starring in a movie or working in music, so the riding-the-wave thing is working so far.


Outside of the film, she’s a songwriter.


“It’s kind of my outlet and how I get through things in life,” she says. “I love performing on stage and getting that immediate gratification from an audience.”


Kiyoko says she had an emotional connection with the Disney film, starting with the rest of the cast.


Looking forward, Kiyoko wants her career to continue growing, but she’s not seeking Bieber-like mania, yet.


“I love performing and I really want to inspire people with my music and entertain people,” she says. “I want to help people and help entertain people, because I feel like I could do that. I want to be relatable and be a good role model as well. If that [level of fame] comes with it, that’s great. But I don’t necessarily want to be completely mobbed wherever I go, either.”


Source: NYDailyNews.com


No comments:

Post a Comment